Saturday 10 April 2010

Rhubarb pickle



It is my invention. I am not sure whether this vegetable (?) is available in India. When I came to Germany I used to watch these sticks with wonder. What for they use it was the question in my mind. One day my labmate bought a cake. It was sour because of a particular ingredient in it. I enquired her about it. Then she showed me in internet the picture of this and she explained about Rhubarb. She said they used to make jams and cakes out of it. Then with the help of wikipedia I learnt about these sour stalks. One day I bought them and tasted it. They are very sour. Naturally I thought about pickles. If it is this sour how about pickling them. Thus this rhubarb pickle was born. Once I prepared it I can't beleive how tasty it is. Definitely they have a wonderful taste equal to gongura. Rhubarab has laxative and astringent properties.These rhubarb petioles have lots of oxalic acid like gongura and hence the sour taste. If you are a person suffering with arthritis problem or kidney stones this is not for you. 

Ingredients :

Rhubarb- 3 nos
Garlic- 6 pods
Chilli powder- 3 tspns 
Turmeric- 1/2 tspn
Fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and jeera seeds- 1 tspn each
Dried red chillies- 4 nos
Curry leaves- few leaflets
Asafoetida- a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbspns

Method :

Cut rhubarb petioles into pieces. When cutting them remove the fibrous outer covering. Then boil the pieces in half-a-cup of water. Rhubarb has lots of water content. So when it is boiled it immediately becomes paste like as shown in picture. Now heat a pan. Add oil. When the oil gets heated add fenugreek seeds. When they turn brown add mustard and jeera seeds. After they splutter add curry leaves, red chillies and garlic pieces. Fry for few seconds. Now add few pinches of asafoetida, red chilli powder and turmeric powder to the hot oil. You have to be very quick at this stage. Do not allow the chilli powder to get burned. Immediately add the rhubarb paste. Then add enough salt (it takes a lot of salt since it is very sour). Now stir continuously until oil seperates out. Tatsiest pickle, goes very well with rice, idlies (hmmm...) dosa and even chappathis. 

Taste enhancing tips for this recipe : For me without garlic no pickle is complete. Take care not to burn the chilli powder. Adding chilli powder directly to the hot oil imparts a nice aroma to the pickle. Taste it, you will love it!!! Happy cooking and have a wonderful weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment