Friday 14 May 2010

Milagai bajji / Mirapakaya bajjilu / Fritters with green chilli peppers

 

Do you love the smell of green chilli peppers? I do. I just love the smell and these bajjis are  an excellent way to enjoy their warmth and flavour. My first meeting with chilli bajjis was during our school trip to Ooty. Everywhere you can see small vendors selling them hot, hot and for that cold ooty climate they make an excellent snack. Recently, during our India visit we had fresh, very hot green chillies direct from the farm.  They looked very tempting. So me and my mom-in-law made some bajjis with it. I noticed that my mom-in-law made a very quick and easy filling just with garam masala. They tasted very good. So I would like to share her method with you all.


Ingredients :

Green chilli peppers (less hot variety)- 6 nos
Garam masala- any garam masala of your choice, chat masala will also be too good- 1 tspn
Besan or gram dhal flour- 1 cup
Rice flour- 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tspn
Baking soda- 1/8 tspn (optional)
Asafoetida- few pinches
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method :
Mix besan, rice flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Now add water to make a thick paste. The consistency of the batter should be similar to idly batter. Wash the green chillies. Wipe them with a clean cloth. Make slit on each chillies as shown in picture. Now mix the garam masala of your choice with little salt. Apply this mixture into the slit as a thin coating. Then dip individual chillies into the batter and and deep fry them in hot oil. Very tasty bajjis will be ready.

Taste enhancing tips for this recipe : Batter consistency is important. It should be thick enough to coat the chilli peppers uniformly. I love if the chillies are a bit hot. Try this garam masala stuffing, it tastes really good. But the garam masala mixed with salt should be applied only as a thin coat, do not stuff it. If you use a hot variety chilli try removing its seeds and try soaking them in salted water for 8 hours . This will help to reduce their hotness.  Happy cooking !!! and have a wonderful weekend ahead!!!

Actually there are several types of filling used for making milagai bajji. Some people use ajwain seeds containing filling, some use seasame seeds and some use onions but for me the bajjis taste very good without any filling because I feel the fillings mentioned above overpower the real taste and flavour of chilli peppers. The filling my mom-in-law used was perfect. It did not overpower the real chilli pepper taste.Hope you will also like it too :)

25 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow !!! Lovely pics. Making it very very tempting. I love green chilli fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manju,

    Amma loves this milagai bajji, I love them too. Yours looks really perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love chilli bhajji...perfect snack at tea time..looks tempting and delicious manju, have a great weekend,take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree and love the Ooty bajii... Hope this one also have the same texture and spicy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy...looks wonderful...I have in m blog too ...a little different recipe though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome snack! Looks fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. manju really super one..we love mulaku baji.i have already posted our mulaku baji recipe.what kind of mulaku u used for this recipe..
    rally delicious manju..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love milagai bhaji but I have never tried preparing them. Your picture is tempting me to try them out soon. Thanks for the tip on how to reduce the hotness of chillies..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks perfect and delicious Manju.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chilli fritters perfect on a rainy day with a cup of masla tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prani, the choice is yours. Unlike India here we have so many different types. If you love it without hotness then go for banana peppers. But if you like it less hot select some peppers as shown in picture. These are more fleshy and very less hot and if you like it super hot use the chilli peppers we use for cooking. But before using them make a slit, deseed them and soak them in salted water for 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowww Manju, am drooling here rite now..my all time favourite fritters, miss it lot..u r pulling me to make some u know:(..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm delicious! Reminds me of courtallam and beach with my friends in back home

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously awesome looking milgai bhaji. My all time fav. Perfect for a rainy eve with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy n inviting snack.Pass me that plate pls.....
    Lovely blog dear.
    Do check out my blog sometime

    ReplyDelete
  16. PErfect snack for rainy season sorry for all season.. I love it.. looks soooooooo perfect as if we get in shops.. yummy !!! Wish I am there to grab one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. love mizhagai bajji, looks yummmmmmmmmmmy n hot

    ReplyDelete
  18. Manju,, super milagai bajji we tasted this one 2 days back dear very good hot chilli bites for winter n rainy day evening.

    ReplyDelete
  19. very very tempting manju! looks lovely...yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Milagai bajjis is my favorite evening snack...those bajjis makes me hungry now...nice preparation too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These bajji's remind me of the times when my sister used to make them for us and serve with tea. Your bajji's look picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Manju, these bajis make me crave..temptation:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that looks terrific, Manju. And who could resist this hot snack...perfect with masala chai. Your bajji plus pictures have come out very well. Awesome:)

    ReplyDelete